Everyone wants to love their hairstyle, but unfortunately everyone doesn’t have the luxury of waking up everyday and loving their hair. It should be an expression of your style, how you want to portray yourself to others, and most of all you should love it!
There’s a lot more to finding your perfect style than flipping through a magazine and picking something you like. We are not celebrities and we do not have their $1,000 a day stylists, or the money to keep it up much less. I’m going to help you find the right style for your face & body shape that works with your texture and can be styled without hassle. I know it sounds impossible but it can be done with patience and a little work!
Things to Consider
- Face & Body Shape
- Natural Texture & Thickness
- Everyday Maintenance
Face & Body Shape
Believe it or not your body tells you a lot about what styles will naturally look great on you. First you need to consider your body shape. Are you short or tall? Slender or more filled out? If you are short you’d probably look best with a short to medium style and if you are taller a medium to longer style will look best. I am tall and more curvy so long layered styles look best to balance out my body shape. People who are more on the slender side look great in shorter, more sleek styles as more curvy women look better in styles that flatter their shape as well as add volume for balancing the overall look.
The shape of your face can be a huge help when choosing a hairstyle. I always hear clients pick out their “flaws” and instruct me to do anything that will not make them more noticeable. What they don’t know is that they are describing their facial shape without realizing it. For example, if you feel that you have a large forehead and strong jawline you are probably a square. It doesn’t take an expert to know that you may need bangs and a soft, rounded hairstyle .
- Basic Facial Shapes- Oval, Round, Square, Heart, & Triangle
- Basic Body Types– Slender, Average, Curvy
Natural Texture & Thickness
Your natural texture also plays a huge role in what style you should choose. If you’ve got really curly hair and you want a graduated bob like the one Victoria Beckham is famous for, chances are it’s going to be a huge pain it the butt. Do you really want to straighten it everyday? Sometimes it’s best to go with something that your hair will do, this equals less stressing over your hair and more time in the mornings!
Thickness is important and probably just as self-explanatory. If you’ve got really thin hair why chop it up with layers or hang on to your length when you can have a great one length bob that styles itself?
Not every stylist has the guts to be blatantly honest with their clients so here’s a few tips to remember:
- Choose a style that WORKS with your texture…don’t fight those gorgeous curls!
- If you have fine hair stop trying to hold on to your length (you know if this is you :))…..It looks bad and will NEVER work…..stick with medium to short styles for a thicker, fuller look.
- For those of you with super straight hair….it will show lines more often than not. Choose sleek styles and stay away from a bunch of layers, if your hair isn’t already flowly and full the layers will not magically transform your hair.
When you decide to get your haircut and change or improve your style it’s important to remember the cost. Is this an every 8 weeks trim or every 4 weeks? For example, short graduated cuts require frequent trims to keep up the look where a medium layered cut can last a lot longer before losing its shape. Can you afford to spend $30 or $40 on your haircut each month? I know what you’re thinking, you can get it for less, but you get what you pay for!
- Include your trip to the salon in your budget just like your electric bill. If not you may end up resorting to the box or a chop shop…ugh!
- Ask your stylist how often you will need to keep up your style before you pick one. You can also tell your stylist how often you’d like to come in and what you can afford, he/she will be sure to find something within your means!
If you’re like me styling your hair and putting your make-up on isn’t the highlight of your day. It’s something I need to do and I want it to be as simple and quick as possible. If you have time to do more and you enjoy it, then go ahead, get a style that requires a little more work.
Here are a few things you should consider about everyday maintenence:
- Time– How much of your morning are you willing to dedicate to your hair?
- Comfort Zone– Are you pretty good with a round brush? Does the word flat iron make you crazy?
- Tools– What do you have to work with? A blow dryer, round brush, & flat or curling iron are a few basics.
- Products– Everyone is different, do you love them or would you rather use the minimum? Can you afford them?
- Routine– Do you work out everyday? Have kids? Do you have more or less time in the morning?
Lastly your lifestyle is a good thing to consider. How do you want to portray yourself to others in your life? What does your personality say about you? Are you bright & bubbly or quiet & conservative? How you want wish to be viewed is important whether you think so or not. Do you want to be taken seriously in your career or are you getting ready to leave for college? Your hairstyle will say a lot about you so it’s important to know what you want it to say to others.
- Is your career professional or laid back when it comes to appearance?
- Do you work out a lot or have kids? Things like this may cut back on time for styling.
- Do you enjoy styling your hair or do you just want the look? If you’re someone that sticks with a basic hairbrush and calls it a day, maybe you should get a low maintenence style
Hopefully this will give you an idea of the questions you should ask yourself before you hit the salon. I see so many clients come in and flip swiftly through a 2 year old hair magazine looking for a style! Don’t let that be you! Do your homework and you will surely get the style that’s right for you. You can also check out The Styles for Your Body, Styles for Slender Shapes or Styles for Curvy Women for more info!
If you love products but hate spending money on them check out my personalized Amazon Store for great deals on professional products. Everything in my Amazon Store is picked and approved by me! Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the right products for you!
- Loading ...
TagsAgelessDerma bangs Bare Minerals bodymerry body shape box color Conditioner consultation cosmetology dryhair Ebook entertowin giveaway hair haircare haircolor haircut HairProducts Hairspray hairstyle hairstylist health Julep julepmaven lalunenaturals makeup mascara Moisturizer Nail Polish nailpolish nails nail tutorial Organic pedicure Peppermint Oil perm products pureology shampoo side bang Skincare Students sunscreen tweezers weightloss