No one likes hearing the words, “Remember, anyone’s replaceable!” It’s a little scary when you realize that applies to cosmetology as well as thousands of other jobs out there. To some it may not be a big deal, but to those that want to expand their horizons it most certainly is!
We can’t deny the fact that there is a hair salon on every corner and dozens of new stylists are joining the rat race every day. The only way to survive in this kind of industry is to be the best. Sure, you can make money without being the best stylist in town, but it will never become the salary or reputation that you desire. If you’re okay with making a mediocre paycheck that’s fine, everyone has different goals in life.
You’re either going to be the one clients run to when another stylists screws up their hair, or the one clients complain about at EVERY appointment with EVERY hairdresser they will EVER have after you (I’m not exaggerating! 🙂 ).
Here are a few things to consider:
- There are well over 800,000 cosmetologists in the U.S.
- Only about 1,500 of them are American Board Certified Colorists.
- That means less than ¼ of 1% of cosmetologists are certified colorists!
- 99% are probably considered to be easily replaceable.
Hopefully the facts gave you a little light bulb and you’re ready to know more! Any goal is hard to set and take into action but if you know what the rewards are it’s much easier. There are so many benefits to becoming ABCH certified and I am more aware of them everyday.
If you’re at a stale point in your career it’s probably time for a challenge. For those of you that don’t have it in you yet, you may want to read How to Become an Expert in Cosmetology & Beauty.
5 Reasons to Become a Certified Haircolorist
1. Confidence in yourself and your career.
- Knowledge is power, the more you know the better you feel and so will your clients.
- Have you ever started a new project or tried a new technique that you are clueless about? We’ve all had that feeling of uncertainty when we’re not sure how to do something….talk about a huge confidence killer!
- When you feel good about your skills you will feel that way about your career as well.
2. Set yourself apart from the rest.
- What makes you any better than the stylist next to you or at a salon down the street? Some of us may feel that we are better than others but does the public know that? Anything you can do to set yourself apart from the majority is a good move.
- Clients seek me because I’m a board certified colorist, if they don’t know you then how else will they know you’re amazing at what you do?
- This applies to any job in any field, going above and beyond to get training and certifications WILL pay off!
3. Credibility with clients and other professionals.
- Fellow stylists will trust your opinion because you’ve done the work to get where you are. If someone needs help with a formula your knowledge will be respected and taken with confidence.
- When your clients know that you can help others it will only give them more peace of mind. Before long they will be walking in and saying… “Just do what you think is best.”…every time.
- We all know how difficult it is when a new client doesn’t seem to trust our skills. Before I got certified I felt like I had to talk about what I’d be doing and why to somewhat convince a client to chill out and have some faith in me. Now I just say, “I’m a certified haircolorist”, you have nothing to worry about :). What a great way to get to the point and get started! Your job is to make them look beautiful, not explain WHY you’re able to do so.
4. Recognition for your vast knowledge and expertise.
- You may be asked to teach others and give classes on your specialties or perform in a hair show.
- When someone calls your salon to book an appointment you will be recognized as “the stylist to go to for color”.
- If you want to work in a more prestigious salon…they will recognize your accomplishments and welcome you with open arms!
5. Build your skills & your business.
- Becoming an American Board Certified Haircolorist will give you national advertising and more referrals than you can imagine.
- You will not pass if you don’t know color forwards & backwards….that means you will only be perfecting and advancing your skills after the course and exam!
- Your career will grow simply from doing the work to become certified, any extra work you put into it is only a plus!
- Anyone can search for a certified haircolorist online HERE.
Follow Me on Facebook!
💋 Summer Product FavoritesLoading ...
💋 Salon Color or Box Color?Loading ...
- Loading ...
💋 Use WEN?Loading ...
Tagsalterna bangs bareMinerals Beauty Color colorlines Conditioner DIY giveaway hair haircolor haircolorist haircut Hairspray hairstylist howto infographic joico Julep julepmaven KENRA KENRAColor makeup mascara Matrix Moisturizer nailpolish nails ogle ogleschool Organic PaulMitchell polish products Redken salon shampoo skin Skincare Stylist swatches Tigi treatment Ulta ultabeauty