TiGi-Hair-ColorAre you wondering how to buy professional hair dye for your own at home use?

Well…..you can’t. If you do find some online then it’s not coming from a reliable supplier.

Not only that, but if you’re not a hairstylist then you probably have no idea about what you’re doing.

This isn’t a “tricky” post to hook you onto my website….I wrote this post because the phrase “how to buy professional hair dye” is one of the most searched topics on this blog!

Update: July 2017

I’ve seen a lot of comments from disgruntled readers about the intent of this post. Please read the comment and response below for a brief explanation about who this article is for and why.

This article is JUST A TAD BIT biased. I don”t know where you live, but there are many high quality beauty supply stores where you can buy all the products you need without being licensed.

If someone does their due diligence in researching everything they need to know, it’s not rocket science as you’re making it sound.

As others have mentioned, some people can’t leave their homes due to illnesses (physical, or mental), some people simply don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars going into the salon…the list goes on. It’s convenient to be able to do these things in the comfort of your own home for a fraction of what of the cost at a salon.

You can teach yourself anything you want, the internet provides lovely resources to be able to do so.

-Alex

Dear Alex,

Yes, you are right about a few things.

It may not be rocket science, but if you knew the difference between the results you get from an American Board Certified Haircolorist(or Redken Certified, Master Haircolorist, etc.) and a beginner stylist that just finished cosmetology school…imagine the difference in results from someone who is uneducated in cosmetology and chemistry/has no experience in the industry that is coloring their hair for the first time after watching some YouTube videos and reading blog articles online!

I wrote this post because I was getting so many comments and e-mails from people asking me how to buy professional hair color. Most of them think that professional beauty supply stores are open to the public, but they are not.

I wanted to explain to readers why “superior” hair color products require a license to purchase, and that professional hair color is immensely different from what you get at Sally’s Beauty or the basic box of hair color. Also, that most people don’t know how to properly formulate for the best results…that doesn’t mean they can’t educate themselves and try(I have posts that only blog subscribers can access which explain basics of hair color and how to do it yourself to get the best results….as well as color charts, formula substitutions between brands, etc.)

I am very understanding of those that cannot go to the salon for various reasons and I do help them(via the contact page/e-mail because chemical services are specific to each person and it’s difficult to give accurate advice without all of the information). I do the same for guests that are shopping in Ulta Beauty and ask me what they should use because they cannot afford a color service at our salon.

-Erika

You’re about to ruin your hair…..just stop.

I’ll never say this again, but you might be better off using box color….for real. At least that’s a no brainer when it comes to mixing. It might not be accurate, but it’s less likely to create a disaster than a non-professional trying to figure it all out on their own!

Here are the ONLY ways to buy professional hair dye:

1. At a beauty supply store. Beauty supply stores are NOT open to the public. You may only buy their products if you have an active cosmetology license.
  2. From a beauty supplier. These are usually mobile and their representatives go to salons to take inventory and/or place orders on a monthly basis. They often have products that cannot be bought at beauty supply stores.

If you’re Googling “how to buy professional hair dye” then ask yourself why….

Why are you trying to buy a professional product if you are not a professional?

Did your Wal-Mart box hair color let you down?

Do you think the results will be different if the color is “professional quality”?

If that’s the case then you’ve got it all wrong. The problem is not the product….it’s you. It’s because you’re not a professional.

I know that some people think what we do is easy, but it’s not. There are so many factors that go into creating beautiful hair color.

It doesn’t happen by chance…it happens when a professional haircolorist listens to your needs or wants and uses their knowledge to create the look you desire.

32 Responses to How to Buy Professional Hair Dye

1. Ana Murillo says:

Annoying and biased, my hair has been wrecked by so called proffesionals but people wanna say we can’t buy it cause we might screw our hair up like they do lol ok. It seems like superiority complex these people have.

Were they really “professionals”? Unfortunately our industry is flooded with stylists that don’t keep learning and/or have never mastered cosmetology. Go to someone with 7-10 years of experience that is passionate about the services that you want.

You can find someone by searching keywords and filtering by area on Instagram!

2. Jen says:

The fact that you cannot buy high quality hair dye if your not a professional is ridiculous. If I ruin my hair because I cannot mix it properly that’s my fault. You are a hair dresser not a doctor, if I misuse the hair dye I’ll survive. It is obviously just a way to stop people from doing it themselves so hair salons can make money. “Did your Walmart box color let you down” Condescending much?? Obviously a higher quality dye will give better results… if it is just the person then why wouldn’t salons use the stuff from walmart. Should hairdressers have a license to color clients hair… sure. But you should be able to do whatever you’d like to your own hair… if it’s doesn’t work out it’s your fault… then you can go get it fixed at a Salon.

3. Joan Todd says:

Thanks for the information. I had my hair professionally colored – green/turquoise/blue at the front and roots. It came out amazing. Now it’s starting to fade, and I’d really like to boost the color a little. However I realize that I can never achieve the same effect because it was a lot of work to get the layers of color. Also, while I was there, the salon did a repair job for someone who had had their hair dyed (blonde)at another salon and hadn’t liked the result (it looked a bit like one of those old peroxide jobs. She left with a gorgeous ash blond color and smooth shining hair. I.E. it may be expensive to get a good color, however it’s twice as expensive if you get a bad color. 🙂

4. Alex says:

Yes, you are right about a few things.

• Nicole says:

I just want to be able to buy Professional hair products at a discount really! Not wanting hair color. I have an amazing professional stylist. Just wanting the hair products I love at a discount or be able to buy them being the ones I love don’t sell in the beauty stores. I love Olaplex and so many others but not able to afford salon price.

5. Lexi says:

I have used professional products before and get the colour I want always!!! My hair is treated more gently than any stylist so no, you are incorrect. Using professional products can be used by people who have dyed their hair for more years than I care to say. It’s ridiculous to pay $150 to $500 when I can do it myself , and better. You should say your website is for professionals only so we don’t waste our valuable time

• Lori says:

You are right on Lexi.We do not how a use professional hair colorAnd I have done it for years.The several times I have asked a professional to color my hair, In his come out Horribly.I think it’s ridiculous that we cannot buy our ownProfessional hair color and do it ourselves.If I want helpOr if I want services of someone else mixing and applying I would be glad to pay for it.But I don’t.

6. Carmen says:

Kind of annoying that the title is misleading. My mom is sick and can’t leave the house, but would love to have her roots done to make her feel better. I am trying to buy her favorite Kevin Murphy color to do her roots for her, and I got so excited when I clicked on this…only to realize it’s total clickbait. I would suggest changing the title so that you don’t waste people’s time.

It’s not “click bait”, it’s the truth. Everyone asks me “how to buy professional hair dye”….but it’s a fact that you can’t without a state-issued license in cosmetology.

There’s a new product that I just found out about a few weeks ago, and it’s coming it Ulta Beauty! We did a training on it and it’s an actual “professional” box hair color. Of course, I don’t guarantee anything like that because you have to know which one to use. In your case I’d be happy to help you with which shade to use.

Here’s the link to the pro box color product on Ulta’s website.

I do understand that everyone can’t get to a salon…so these articles are more for people who can afford professional hair color…but insist that they can do it better themselves.

Thank you for your comment! I need to add this new option to my article and I wouldn’t have thought about it if you hadn’t said something!

7. Kat says:

My only issue with this is that my hair is already bleached, I’m letting the color grow out, but I would like to have fun with it. I want a particular Demi because it is gentler on my hair and would like to keep using it without having to pay for a dye more often than I can afford.

Was your hair highlighted, or was it lightened(bleached) all over? When you say that you’re letting the color grow out…are you talking about the lightened hair? I can help you with what to use, but I need to see what your hair looks like. I use demi-permanent hair color and it’s perfect for you if you don’t want to color your hair too often.

Please send me a message via the Contact Page and I will respond promptly via e-mail. Just respond to my personal e-mail with your hair photos!

8. Robin Valentine says:

Hi! I have a question: I went to beauty school, but never got licensed. I had a friend who got me color and developer from Cosmoprof, but we lost touch. I know how to properly apply and process my color. Doing myself costs about $2 as opposed to $60 and takes so much less time. I don’t want to use store bought color on my hair because it isn’t healthy for my hair. Any advice on how to find my supplies?

You can try on ebay, but there’s no guarantee that what you need will always be available. You also have to watch out for expired products, but that’s pretty easy to spot!

Amazon also has some pro hair color products available.

9. Maureen says:

Hello….
    I am 100% white, started greying when I was 20 years old. I have been getting my colored by an awesome girl. But I need to go every 2 weeks otherwise I have too much grey. I can’t afford it anymore. My stylist gave me the name – Redken Gel 17N 15 Volume… do you know what I can get to replace this color and do it on my own?

Is it Redken Color Gels in 7N? 15 volume doesn’t sound right unless you’re going for a result that is lighter than a level 7. I have clients that need to come in every 3-4 weeks and they use a root cover spray in-between coloring.

We have a $75 cut & color special at The Salon @ Ulta Beauty that most people get because they have to come in so often. For my clients that need their hair colored a lot I make it more affordable by doing a partial retouch every other time. The partial retouch is $40 and covers all of the areas that show. Some places do it for less, so ask your haircolorist about that!

If that’s not a route you want to try….I can help you with what to buy….but I would need to know more about your hair, what you want, and so on.

10. Is there a color brand named “Rainbor”? My mother used a red color by Rainbow years ago and If there is such a thing, I would like to know where her hairdresser can order it.

I haven’t heard of that one, but I did find a website for henna hair color that’s called “rainbow”. Funnily, when you Google ‘rainbow hair color’ you’ll just get tons of pics and posts about rainbow hair color trends. That’s really popular right now, so if you choose to research the brand yourself…the best keywords that I used were ‘rainbow brand hair color’.

Here’s the link:
      Rainbow Henna Hair Color

Thanks for reading!

11. Zara says:

All so called licensed professionals charge sooooo much money, when i can do the same olaplex or hair dye by myself. So simple. They like to charge. But when you come back and tell them that your color doesn’t stay on the hair and probably you should add more pigment to that, they say its my hair’s fault that color doesn’t stay. All good hairstylists cost hell of a lot, because you pay for their name. But i can do it myself.

They’re not “so-called” licensed professionals if they are actually licensed by the state. They’re professionals….and just because someone has a license doesn’t mean they’re good at what they do.

Lots of women like to spend money on their hair…some spend it on their nails, clothes, massages, trips, etc. Everyone has something and just because hair isn’t your thing doesn’t mean that ALL hairstylists are liars that charge too much.

You’re stereotyping a very large group of people that have one thing in common: their profession. Our society is so angry and intolerant…this is why. If one pediatrician charges too much and blames you for not following the at-home instructions….would you say that they’re all the same and you can just “do it yourself”? If one nail technician charges too much and tells you that your nail polish didn’t last because you weren’t properly caring for your hands…would you say that they’re all the same and you can just “do it yourself”? I can keep going with the examples, but I think my point has been made clear.

You may think you can do it yourself, but don’t insult true professionals.

• Shelly Smith says:

Hello Ericka… I completely understand your frustration, and I know that what you do is not at all easy; however, there are people like me who are not able to get to a salon. I live on a reservation and I’m 3 to 4 hours from civilization. My stylist used Davines Mask on my hair FOR YEARS, so I have some knowledge of the product… She kept a log of the color she used because I went from blonde to red. I’m so tired of having 2 inches of grey. Yes, it is not the optimum situation and I would love to jet off to Los Angeles every couple of weeks, but I cannot. What about people like me? Help!

Hi Shelly!

I understand your situation, the key to getting it right at home is knowing how to properly apply the color….and of course using the right product. I wrote this post because one of the top searches on my blog was “how to buy professional hair dye” and most people didn’t understand that professional color is not sold to the public….you must have a license in cosmetology to shop at the pro beauty supply stores. Professional color can probably be purchased on eBay or other like websites, but you won’t know how old it is or if the product will be available next time.

So….I can help you choose the safest color products if you answer a few questions for me:

1. How much grey do you have? About 10%,25%, 50%, etc.
          2. What color is your hair now?
          3. Did you get a single application color or dimensional?

• Ashtyn says:

Most salons charge way too much for the service provided. Not all. Maybe the lady can do it herself, don’t insult her by saying she,”may think” she can do it herself.
        I have been cutting and coloring my hair for a long time now. I went to school for it, but the salon atmosphere wasn’t my thing. I can’t deal with the overcharge to customers, nor the plain out disrespect a lot of women show to each other in a salon. Three different salons, always drama around.
        It’s hard for people like me that do their own hair who has had the experience. I will not use box color and Sally’s is just as bad as that. I was using Matrix for about 3 years, and now it’s not available where i use to get it. I do my own and my families hair.

You can’t assume people that do hair out of home are not experienced. That’s simply YOUR speculation. In no way am I insulting any of the salon cosmetologist, but you shouldn’t with people out of home either.

MOST people who are attempting to color their own hair at home are not experienced. Obviously, someone who went to school would have more knowledge than the general public.

I wrote this post because so many people were searching “How to Buy Professional Hair Dye” on my website, but they did not understand that you cannot buy professional hair color without a license(and there’s a reason for that). Many people don’t understand that Sally’s does not sell professional products.

Also, marketing DOES make people THINK that they can do it themselves. They make consumers think that it will be easy…when it’s not always easy.

So…don’t take it so personally and literally…I color my own hair at home sometimes and it’s pretty obvious that this content doesn’t relate to professionals like myself. Believe it or not, this information has helped many people and saved them from making a huge mistake. It’s all in how you interpret it.

• m says:

I came across this thread and found this particular response to be quite humorous… while i agree with you on the fact that hair stylists are professionals, they are in NO way in the same league of a pediatrician (funny). As for the nail tech… umm YA – we can do it ourselves! Your examples are completely offbeat.

think about what your going to write before putting pen to paper. 🙂

There aren’t many things that you can compare to a licensed cosmetologist. 80% of cosmetologists are in the BOTTOM of our profession….while 20% are excellent and make 80% of the income that our industry brings in every year. Most people don’t know that, so they generalize us and trust few.

I’m not saying that I’m “in the same league” as a pediatrician, but no matter the profession we should all be treated with respect.

Maybe you should think about the comments you make, as it says more about you than it does about me. I write posts to help people make better decisions when it comes to their hair, skin care, makeup, etc. I started this blog to let people know how to find a great stylist and how to spot the bottom 20%…preventing them from disastrous experiences(some of which result in hair loss, burns, really bad haircuts, etc.). Image is important to most people and one bad salon visit can kill your confidence the day before an interview or big event, for example. Belittling others with your comments(like telling me that I shouldn’t write freely) because you don’t agree with it isn’t okay.

Luckily, I have thick skin and I brush it off….but some people are really sensitive and would take what you say to heart. Being nice is hard sometimes, but it’s what the world needs a little more of.

12. Jessica says:

I’m looking to buy professional hair dye for myself because I cannot find a professional to understand what I want. I’ve gone several times to break up my roots so my blonde will grow out nicely but no one has been capable of doing it. Once I left with 90’s mom highlights and this last time another one tried to do the same thing but I refused to let her put foils in my hair….so instead she used the same technique as highlights but without putting the foils in. Only 1/4 of my hair had color when all of it should have had color in it. I see professionals (in salons, not teenage girls in their bathrooms) doing it in online tutorials but I can’t find anyone here to do it so I’m doing it on my own. I gave up on professionals. They’re a constant let down.

13. Noelle says:

Or maybe the person is getting their hair done by a friend who’s an experienced stylist, but needs to buy the dye… That’s my case, anyway.

If your friend is truly an experienced hairstylist, she/he will be able to buy the hair color you need at your local beauty supply store. Your friend has to be the one to go to the store to buy it because a license is required to enter Salon Centric and Cosmoprof.

Your friend would already know that, so I’m not so sure how “experienced” that person is…or if they’re really a hairstylist.